This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website More info Got It

Salt - Real Salt vs Industrial Salt

Discussion in 'Articles on Health and Nutrition' started by Nutrition_Observer, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Nutrition_Observer

Nutrition_Observer Administrator Staff Member

Salt is something that is all around it is a key ingredient in many types of cooking. It also is a key flavor ingredient.

There has been a drastic shift in the view of the world when it comes to salt. It is important to understand the historical importance of Salt.

Multiple wars have been labeled the Salt war. Italy had two wars the first in 1481 and the second in 1540. In the United States in the 1860’s there was in the El Paso region and again in 1877. A British tax on salt was part of the inspiration behind the Indian and British conflict where Gandhi was in the center.

Marco Polo reported that images of the Grand Khan and used as coins. The nomads of Ethiopia's Danakil Plains use it still as currency. Going further back in time covenants in Old Testament times were sealed with salt, and it is the root for the word salvation.

These items are a few of the many religions and conflicts that have placed a high value of salt over thousands of years.

Today, there is not so much a war for salt but a against salt. In the United States, New York City for example has passed laws to limit the amount of salt that one can have, and has launched a campaign to tell people to have less salt. This is due to the health problems it is said to create.

It does not seem to be logical that people from all over the world and over several millennia have placed so great a value upon something that they would go to war against another to gain more of would be detrimental to one’s health.

The reason for this is that there is a confusion about what salt is. There are two basic types of salt.

The first type is an “real salt”, this is a salt that has been mined and the rock is ground up and sold as salt. This type of salt has many different trace elements in it, and will vary from place to place. It typically is not white in color. The second form of real salt is sea salt where sea water evaporated and sea salt is left behind. Note: There have been reports that some samples of sea salt tested have elevated levels of mercury, this is an important

The second type “industrial salt” is basically a form of industrial waste. The ore is mined and then all the valuable trace elements are removed by various mechanical and chemical processes. What is left and has almost no value is not discarded but it is then bleached and sold as salt.

In my opinion it is not reasonable to describe “real salt” and “industrial salt” as the same thing. They are chemically two different items.

I have found that when I bake bread the way yeast interacts with the flour is different depending upon the type of salt. One needs to use less “real salt” as it is stronger than “industrial salt”, I assume that this is due to the various trace elements. The flavor with the “real salt” also seems to be better, but this is a subjective measure.

In another test I found an equal amount of “industrial salt” raised by blood pressure, but at the same time the “real salt” lowered my blood pressure. This is not something that is unique to me. Many other people report having the same type of thing happening.

Did you catch that the “real salt” that has natural trace minerals ones blood pressure can actually drop? This is something that is ignored by many in the medical profession who say that the way to deal with high blood pressure is to avoid salt.

Our bodies were designed to use “real salt”, but not “industrial salt”. This is why one’s blood pressure can drop when using an “real salt”.

When dealing with our bodies a key thing to remember is that the less refined, processes, and industrial something is the better it is for you.

There is a war against salt it is one that is based in ignorance of what real salt is.